RE: How do you get a job as a designer without going to design school?
Learn Logo Design
- Learn how to make a logo that doesn’t suck:
- You’ll want to take it a step further than a logo though. Learn to create a consistent brand – from the website to the business cards. Check out this book, .
Learn Mobile App Design
- Start with to get your feet wet on visual design for mobile apps.
- Read this short but very comprehensive and well-thought out book on iPhone design: . It will teach you how to make an app that not only looks good but is easy to use.
- Geek out on the apps on your phone. Critique them. What works and what doesn’t?
Learn Web Design
- Read to learn how to make a website that people find easy to use and navigate.
- Read if you want help making a website look good.
- Make a list of the websites you think are beautifully designed. Note what they have in common. Some great examples are on .
Now for the hairy question of whether you need to know HTML/CSS as a designer: It depends on the job. Knowing it will definitely give you an edge in the job market. Even if you don’t want to be a web developer, it helps to know some basics. That way you know what is possible and what isn’t.
There are so many great resources to learn HTML and CSS:
- My favorite free one is .
- My favorite paid one (pretty affordable at $25/month) is . If you’re starting from the beginning and want someone to explain things clearly and comprehensively, splurge for Treehouse tutorials.