RE: How do you get a job as a designer without going to design school?
Asked on 31 Maret 2023 in No Category.
Learn Logo Design
- Learn how to make a logo that doesn’t suck: Logo Design Love
- You’ll want to take it a step further than a logo though. Learn to create a consistent brand – from the website to the business cards. Check out this book, Designing Brand Identity.
Learn Mobile App Design
- Start with this tutorial to get your feet wet on visual design for mobile apps.
- Read this short but very comprehensive and well-thought out book on iPhone design: Tapworthy. It will teach you how to make an app that not only looks good but is easy to use.
- Geek out on the apps on your phone. Critique them. What works and what doesn’t?
Learn Web Design
- Read Don’t Make Me Think to learn how to make a website that people find easy to use and navigate.
- Read The Principles of Beautiful Web Design if you want help making a website look good.
- Make a list of the websites you think are beautifully designed. Note what they have in common. Some great examples are on SiteInspire.
Now for the hairy question of whether you need to know HTML/CSS as a designer: It depends on the job. Knowing it will definitely give you an edge in the job market. Even if you don’t want to be a web developer, it helps to know some basics. That way you know what is possible and what isn’t.
There are so many great resources to learn HTML and CSS:
- My favorite free one is Web Design Tuts.
- My favorite paid one (pretty affordable at $25/month) is Treehouse. If you’re starting from the beginning and want someone to explain things clearly and comprehensively, splurge for Treehouse tutorials.